Tuesday 24 November 2015

Developing Study Skills

 
 
My Preferred Learning Style
 
A few weeks ago, I took an Online VARK test to identify my preferred learning style. I completed this test by answering a series of questions related to four different learning styles - Aural, Visual, Read/Write and Kinaesthetic- to see which one suits me. After I took the test, I received results that gave me a score for each of the learning styles.
 
My scores were:
  • Visual- 6
  • Kinaesthetic-8
  • Read/ Write- 7
  • Aural- 9
Due to my results all being relatively similar, it shown I was a Multimodal Learning. This means I can learn using all four of the learning styles. However, the results also show I prefer Aural Learning over Visual, Read/Write and Kinaesthetic Learning.
 
This means I would learn better by listening to information and taking it in. I can learn this way by using Tape Recordings, Listening to Speakers and using Group Discussions or Debates. There is a method known as SWOT which means Study Without Tears. This is a learnable package where I could convert my notes into shortened down notes. For example, I could shorten them down into a 3:1 Ratio. I can also summarise notes and record them onto tapes and listen to them to gain knowledge. A helpful tip for answering questions would be to imagine saying my answer aloud. After I had said my answer aloud, I could copy this down as my answer. An app I would like to use would be one called Voice Thread. These are videos which involve focused discussions. This helps focus more on the Learning Material rather than the Learning Tools.
 
 
Strengths and Weaknesses
 
 
Some of the strengths I possess include having the experience of what a working world is like. I am also able to learn things many different ways. I also have good computing skills which can be seen as very valuable when trying to find a job. Another strength I possess is that I have good initiative which is seen as a very important skill.
 
However, some of my weaknesses include the fact I can be nervous and shy infront of new people.




Working with Others


While studying for our bookkeeping exam a few weeks ago, I work with three other students to complete a practise assessment. This turned out to be very helpful as when one of us was stuck on a difficult question, we would help eachother out with finding the answer.




 
 
 
 
 




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good reflective piece, Brandon. You have really given some thought into how you learn. It would be great if you could post an example of you using Study Without Tears (SWOT) or Voicethread as a revision aid to your blog. It would be really useful for other students as well. One way of overcoming shyness is by seeing how your contributions can help others.

    It would also be helpful in your next reflective post if your could identify other weaknesses particularly in relation to your study skills so that you can work on improving these, to work towards developing your independent study skills.

    I really like your writing style, Brandon. It is clear and easy to read and well presented in clear, structured sentences. I am pleased to see you have added some gadgets to your blog. This demonstrates digital literacy skills. You could now try to change the theme from the standard Blogger theme to one that is more personalised to your style.

    ReplyDelete